What is a Continuation?
A continuation is a request for additional time if your approval period is expiring. If your research is Level III or II with federal funding, IRB will approve it for a maximum of 364 days. You will receive a notice of expiration at both 60 and 90 days prior to expiration. If your research is Level I or Level II with no federal funding, IRB will approve it for a maximum of 5 years. You will receive a notice of expriation at both 60 and 90 days prior to expiration.
To learn more about this process, click on continuation to watch an informative video.
*NOTE: If you are unable to view the video, try the instructions below. Contact email@example.com if you need further help.
How to submit a Continuation Form: You may wish to download these instructions before proceeding.
- Click homepage for IRBNet to go to IRBNet. Clicking the link takes you out of this page.
- On the top right corner, log in with your username and password.
- In the left hand blue column under other tools, click on Forms and Templates.
- Use the Select a Library drop down menu and select Minnesota State University, Mankato IRB, Mankato MN - Documents for Researchers.
- Under the Document Library, select the Continuing Review Request Form. *Allow this form to download. The form will be an editable Word document.
- Complete the request form and Save As to your desktop or file of choice–adding your name to the end of the form title (ex. Form To Request Continuation of Approved Protocol-Insert Full Name Here).
- In the left hand blue column, click on My Projects.
- Click on the Project Title that applies to your continuing review request form.
- In the left hand blue column, click on Project History.
- In the left hand blue column below "Project History", click on Create a New Package.
- Click the Attach New Document button to select your continuing review request form, then click choose to load it.
- If you have co-invesitgators with whom you need to share the project, in the left hand blue column, click on Share this Project. If you are not sharing, go to step 14.
- Click on Share in the first paragraph then select your organization (Minnesota State University, Mankato). Type in your user name and click search. Once you have found your user, click save.
- In the left hand blue column, click on Sign this Package.
- In the drop down menu next to your name, select your title then click the sign button.
- In the left hand blue column, click on Submit this Package.
- Search for your organization (MNSU), select it, then click on the continue button.
- In the Submission Type drop down menu, select Continuing Review/Progress Report, add any comments necessary, then click the submit button.